Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Grocery Store Project. Week 1: Safeway

Ok so this was week 1 and so I started at my old standard. As I said, I did a typical weekly trip, where I bought some items just for the week, and some that were things that are more long term items, as in, I don't have to buy them each week and a few of my meals used ingredients I had already like chicken frozen and eggs. Here is how it went down:

My meal plan was:

Monday: Pork Milanese, Parsley Pasta Salad, and a veggie
Tuesday: Jambalaya and Rice
Wednesday: Pesto and cream cheese stuffed chicken with leftover pasta
Thursday: Turkey burgers with couscous
Friday: tortellini Alfredo
Saturday: Beef stir-fry
Sunday: Beef pitas with tzatziki sauce with veggie

So here's what I bought:
3 bottles of Refreshe sparkling fruit water (my husband loves these so I usually have to get them every few weeks)
Lemon juice
Cream Cheese
2 packages of frozen veggies (1 spinach, 1 stir fry veggies)
Greek Yogurt
Bagel Thins
Pita Pockets
2 containers of ground turkey
Think cut steaks
Think cut pork chops
1 bag of seedless grapes
2 Lemons
2 onions
Cole slaw mix (you know the chopped cabbage mix)
Parsley
Cilantro
Asparagus bunch
Tortellini (fresh)
Alfredo (also in the fresh section, not the jar)

In total, I spent 67.41

Not a bad deal for how much stuff I got, in my opinion. I always try to keep it under $70 but, I was nervous this week since I bought 3 kinds of meat, and good amount of fresh produce. With my club card and coupons, I saved 14.51. So, not horrid, but I probably could have saved more honestly.

My overall opinion of Safeway, is it's the old standard. I know where stuff is, I like the variety, and I like that I get the gas rewards by shopping there. I also like the Starbucks located right inside. I like the coupons, and the club card specials. And I think I got a pretty good deal this week.

We will have to see what the next weeks bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment