Monday, October 17, 2011

A Few of My Favorite Things-child related section

I think one of the main things that I get asked both in general and for the business is "what products are your favorites for babies and children?" Well, the answer is usually, "well what sorts of items are you looking for?" Because, let's face it, there are more items out on the market then one person can really grasp and I have found more and more of them to not have a whole lot of uses. The stores are filled with products that you "must have" that you actually aren't really going to die without, right? I mean, even non-child related items, do you really need a slap chopper, magic bullet, mini food processor and knives? Uhh no, or at least I don't. (Although you will probably see my mini food processor in my other favorite things list, if we are being honest, I love that thing.) Ok, back to the point...I decided to post a few of my favorite, must have baby products here. These are ones that I have used and personally love and adore and find to be fantastic. But remember, different things work for different people and you should ALWAYS look around for reviews and recalls of products before making your decision. Everyone has different preferences and what works great for me today, may not tomorrow and may not work for you. Ok...on to the list...

1. The Baby Bjorn Original Classic (Link)




Why I love it:This is a product that has been around for a long time and is a favorite among many people that I know. It has some stiff competition, but in my opinion it is the easiest to use, especially when you are putting it on without assistance from another adult. It's easy to get on and off, comfortable for you and baby, and easy to just throw in the bottom of the stroller or keep in the trunk of the car in case. One thing that I loved is that it worked for me, despite my very petite frame. I was able to adjust it to fit my size and then leave it that way so every time I used it, I just had to strap it on and pop the baby in rather then going through the process of refitting it over and over. I also liked that you didn't have to be a contortionist to get it on yourself or to get baby into it. This was something I ran into with some similar carriers. I actually asked a few friends recently which one they liked, and they also agreed that this one was easy to use. I think I used it the most at the grocery store because it was great for before the kids were ready to sit in the cart, but were too old to stay in the infant seat the whole time. Since they can face in or out depending on size and age, it's great for those sorts of outings.

What I would change: This is one product that I actually think is great as is. I've never had a complaint except one time when I wore the baby in it far too long and was a little sore when I put her in the car, that was obviously my fault and not it's fault.



2. Dr Brown's Natural Flow Bottles (Link)

Why I love it: I love these bottles because they are a really well thought out product. They are BPA free which is big, they are natural flow, which means their flow resembles breast feeding, which is great for babies, they come in different shapes and sizes and have different levels of nipples depending on how old your baby is. The higher the level, the faster the flow of milk. It's a nice feature. I have always used the slim ones, which fit great in little containers or pockets rather then some bulkier bottles out there. They also do help with gas and colic with the way they are constructed. I think this is a great product from a company that seems to really have their stuff together. Their website has a good deal of information on their products and the benefits of them which I love because I am a research freak :)

What I would change: This is minor, and usually operator error, but the little stopper that goes in the straw part really has to be pushed in, or you will have leakage. I had a few leaks because of quickly pushing them in but not really ensuring they were tight. Yes, I know, it's totally a me thing, but still should mention it so you can benefit from my spills :)

3. Boppy Pillows (Link)



Why I love it: So Boppy pillows come in a few different ways, you can buy it and then buy a slip cover separate, buy it with slipcovers and their is the newborn lounger, which looks like the classic one, but is filled in in the middle so baby can lounge on it. These things rock for feedings, rock for when baby gets a bit older and can lounge, rocks for when your baby won't sleep and you have to hold it on your lap and rock it for hours until you arms feel like they may fall off...ok, well they help them not feel like they are going to fall off. This pillow offers support for baby or whoever is holding baby. The covers are also washable which, is a must with babies and children. One thing though, make sure you read the way it's supposed to be used first. I think it's tempting to just put baby on in there, but you have to make sure you are using it correctly and always in supervision, not in the crib, or in the other room, and not before baby is ready. The use instructions can be found on their webpage, right (here)

What I would change: Again, I don't think there's a thing I would change about this product. I think when used correctly, it's a great thing to have around, a necessity even, in my book, since it has a lot of uses.


So...that's at least a starter list! If you have any baby or kid products you love, let me know in the comments or in an email! I would love to hear your thoughts on these and other products!

No comments:

Post a Comment